This ready-in-a-hurry moist cake lets you throw down the calories, carbs, and protein your muscles need after a workout. Of course, it also makes for a quick dessert fix for chocoholics. For a splash of color, you can top the cake with raspberries or sliced strawberries.
As with most cakes, muffins, and other baked goods, consider using a plant-based protein such as rice or hemp. It produces a better texture than whey.
- Swap out regular yogurt for a dairy-free yogurt
- Replace brown sugar with coconut sugar or turbinado sugar
- Use whole wheat pastry flour, spelt flour, or 1-to-1 gluten-free flour blend instead of all-purpose flour
Molten Chocolate Mug Cake
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons almond butter or other nut butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons protein powder
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon dried tart cherries (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
Grease the inside of a coffee mug with oil or cooking spray. Stir together egg, yogurt, nut butter, sugar, and espresso powder (if using), in a bowl. Stir in flour, protein powder, cocoa powder, dried tart cherries (if using), cinnamon, baking soda, and a pinch of salt. Mix well until smooth and then pour into the mug.
Cover mug with a paper towel and microwave on high until puffed and set, about 90 seconds to 2 minutes, depending on the power of your machine. Eat straight from mug or use a butter knife to loosen and turn out onto a plate.
Adapted from Rocket Fuel: Power-Packed Fuel for Sports and Adventure by Matthew Kadey, RD with permission of VeloPress.