Become a Member

Get access to more than 30 brands, premium video, exclusive content, events, mapping, and more.

Already have an account? Sign In

Become a Member

Get access to more than 30 brands, premium video, exclusive content, events, mapping, and more.

Already have an account? Sign In

Brands

Nutrition

Fuel Buzz: Beef-Based Energy Bars

Is a beef-based bar the energy source you need?

Stomaching a beef-based bar (grass-fed or not) may not sound very appealing during a run. However, the unique and bold flavors of Omnibars may convince you otherwise. Contrary to sweet energy bars typically made up of dried fruits, nuts and a variety of oats (and sometimes way too much sugar), Omnibars contain ground beef from grass-fed cows on the founder’s ranch in Montana, but provides the same long-lasting energy—if not more. Our editors had a go at the unconventional bar and here’s what we’ve deduced.

Ideal for: Meat lovers and long distance runs, especially during grueling ultra-trail races.

What’s in it: Each package contains two thin, flat leather bars packed with 200 calories and 9 grams of protein that will satiate your hunger for a few hours while on the road or trail. The brand promotes using all-natural, non-dairy and gluten-free whole food ingredients. Besides beef rich in omega-3, which makes up 35 percent of the bar, the other 65 percent includes complex carbohydrates such as dried prunes, almonds, dried sweet potatoes, oats and brown flax seed that burn off more slowly, and therefore sustain valuable energy.

Why it’s worth trying: Unlike other dried beef products such as beef jerky, Omnibar’s ingredients blend into a chewy bar that won’t break your teeth. Plus, its interesting pairing of flavors—Cranberry Rosemary, Mango Curry, Roasted Peanut and Chipotle Barbecue—utilizes real spices that are far from bland-tasting. Our favorite was the Cranberry Rosemary. The subtle sweetness of the cranberry enhances the rosemary, adding to the bar’s savoriness.

However, we’ll admit, if you have a weak stomach, the ground beef may not settle well in your stomach on a run. We recommend consuming a bar mid- or post-run when your body craves the replenishing of proteins and calories most as opposed to a pre-run fuel.

Where to get it: Boxes of 12 bars for $39 or a sample pack of 4 bars (each a different flavor) for $13 can be purchased at omnibars.com.