This piece first appeared in the June 2011 issue of Competitor Magazine.
The Environmental Working Group, a nonprofit whose mission is to protect consumers from toxic chemicals found in everyday products, publishes a database ranking 1,400 sun protective products. EWG advises:
• Sunburns are late warnings of overexposure.
• Don’t rely on sunscreen as your sole defense against the sun.
• Use lower SPF products and apply more frequently.
• Avoid oxybenzone, a chemical that can contaminate the body.
• Government data reveals that tumors and lesions can develop faster on skin coated with vitamin A.