Kenyans are the surprise victors in the Spanish capital on Sunday.
Patrick Korir of Kenya broke the tape in 2 hours, 12 minutes and 7 seconds to win the Rock ‘n’ Roll Madrid Marathon on Sunday by six seconds over countryman Enock Mitei.
Margaret Agai of Kenya won the women’s race in 2:32:23, over two minutes up on Roman Gebregessese of Ethiopia, who finished in 2:34:40.
Mitei, the 2011 Madrid Half Marathon, champion, led for most of the race before being reeled in by Korir and another Kenyan, Thompson Cherogony, who caught him with under 400 meters to go. Korir’s late kick brought him the victory, as Mitei settled for second and Cherogony took third in 2:12:14.
In the women’s race, the half marathon was passed by the leaders in 1:15:30. Agai pushed the pace for much of the race, but was joined by Ethiopians Gebregessese and Gebayahu. Gebayahu faded first, and after a 2:06:20 split at 35K, Agai pulled away from Gebregessese and lengthened her gap to 2:17 to secure a double Kenyan victory.
1. Patrick Korir, KEN 2:12:07
2. Enock Mitei, KEN 2:12:13
3. Thompson Cherogony, KEN 2:12:14
4. Mark Tanui, KEN 2:12:23
5. Hailu Dogaga, ETH 2:13:15
6. Paul Kirui, KEN 2:14:09
7. Moses Arusei, KEN 2:16:41
8. Felix Limo, KEN 2:20:06
9. Tilaun Aliyev, AZE 2:20:15
10. Isaac Kosgei, KEN 2:20:33
1. Margaret Agai, KEN 2:32:23
2. Roman Gebregessese, ETH 2:34:40
3. Tigist Gebayahu, ETH 2:36:31
4. Dailin Belmonte, CUB 2:41:07
5. Marina Kiseleva, RUS 2:42:36
6. Tigist Worku ETH 2:43:30
7. Irene Lorenzo, ESP 2:55:38
8. Cristina Rozalén, ESP 2:55:51
9. Nancy Langat, KEN 3:03:19
10. Paqui Fuentes, ESP 3:03:31